Wednesday, August 5, 2009

Campin Was a Bust (in more ways than one)

We had a fabulous time. The weather was great, the campsite was amazing, we had our own private beach. We canoed and swam, and of course ate.

Jude went in his hiking backpack for the first time (here's a pic of my sister and I and our wee ones in their "packpacks", as Anna calls them).

Then, because I'm possibly the most accident prone person on earth, disaster struck. Let me premise this story by telling you about our camping stairs. We have a little rubbermaid stool that's very stable. So I asked Zach to bring it to use as the camper stairs, but for some reason he thought I wanted him to bring this rickety old wooden step ladder. This ladder was so rickety that the kids weren't allowed on it, and we didn't carry the kids into the camper. We went up first and got someone to pass them in. And thank god we did, because the last morning we were there, they broke just as I stepped on them off the tail gate.

The whole time we were there I went down them holding onto the handle on the back of the camper. But of course this time I had Jude's oatmeal in one hand and a bowl of yogurt in the other hand for Anna.

I fell about three feet and landed hard. I hit the ground without bracing myself, knocked myself out and then had a small seizure. When I tried to get up, my right leg was paralyzed and I had to pull on my PJ legs to move my leg and get help into a chair. I also wet myself when I had the seizure.

Of course we were three hours from home. And Zach was beside himself because he thought it was his fault for bringing the shoddy stairs (which of course it wasn't).

So we moved Jude's car seat into my sister and her husbands car and she took both babies home so we could go to the hospital once we got back to Victoria. But I started to feel better on the way home so we opted to just hit up the clinic.

Long story short, no long term damage was done. I have a giant goose egg on my head, but no broken ribs or anything. However, my back, shoulder and neck are killing me. Zach stayed home yesterday but he had to go back to work today, and my sister is coming over but not until after lunch. So Jude and I are fending for ourselves. I'm in quite a bit of pain, but he's being a really good boy and we'll manage until Alex and little Anna get here.

I'm just glad it happened at the end of the weekend.

But here are some pictures because I want to remember the great parts of the weekend before the fall.

Oh, and needless to say, I'm eating whatever is handy. There's no cooking going on in this house, and I won't be going to my meeting this week because getting Jude in and out of the car is too much for me. But next week I'll be there!










baby Jude enjoying some fresh air in his exersaucer










Anna loving the whistle on her new life jacket more than she loved her first canoe ride











Jude playing with Anna and Auntie Alex on the top bunk

2 comments:

  1. Sorry to hear about your accident. I hope you mend quickly. Great pics of the little ones.

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMG! I just read this post now and I can't believe that happened to you. No wonder you are having a rough week. I hope that you are feeling better and better everyday!
    PHG

    ReplyDelete